U.S. Christians and Government Respond to Coronavirus
CEN Advisory 2.2.20
TLP-WHITE for broad public release
U.S. Christians and Government Respond to Coronavirus
In recent weeks, the Christian Emergency Network’s National Incident Command Team has been identifying and monitoring areas of concern regarding the CoronaVirus in order to minimize loss of life and maximize the Gospel going forward. CEN is closely monitoring this developing global emergency with our federal partners and consulting with Christian subject matter experts independent of government sources. Join the Network to be part of the growing Christian response on being ready for such a time as this!
Following the declaration of a U.S. National Health Emergency regarding the outbreak of the coronavirus, the Trump Administration issued a ban on foreign travel for those who have been in China within the last 14 days. In a press release issued today. U.S. Department of Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf, announced: “In response to the evolving threat of the novel coronavirus, and to minimize the risk of spreading within the United States, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) today will begin enforcing restrictions for all passenger flights to the United States carrying individuals who have recently traveled from the People’s Republic of China. In accordance with the President’s Proclamation and at the direction of Acting Secretary Chad F. Wolf, the Travel Restrictions will begin for flights commencing after 5:00 p.m. EST on Sunday, February 2nd, and will direct the arrival of U.S. citizens who have traveled in China within 14 days of their arrival to one of seven designated airports, where the United States Government has enhanced public health resources in order to implement enhanced screening procedures. The administration is taking these actions to protect the American people.
Additionally, U.S. citizens who have been in Hubei province within 14 days of their return will be subject to up to 14 days of mandatory quarantine to ensure they are provided proper medical care and health screening. U.S. citizens who have been in other areas of mainland China within 14 days of their return will undergo proactive entry health screening and up to 14 days of self-quarantine with health monitoring to ensure they have not contracted the virus and do not pose a public health risk. Generally, foreign nationals (other than immediate family of U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and flight crew) who have traveled in China within 14 days of their arrival, will be denied entry into the United States.”
CEN National Founder and President Mary Marr, advises Christians to:
- REVIEW their own plan and supplies should supplies be reduced or quarantines be implemented domestically. For a list of supplies go to ReadyChristian.
- READ 10 STEPS
CEN National Safety and Security Officer Darryl Walker, recommends three steps churches and ministry organizations take IMMEDIATELY:
- REVIEW ReadyChurch. Emergency Operations Plan concerning medical situations. If churches and ministry facilities don't have one in place develop one immediately
- CONSULT with local medical officials and form a plan on how to handle church members who have traveled abroad since late December.
- INSTRUCT church staff such as safety/security teams, ushers/greeters, parking teams, on how to deal with a person who may come to church with symptoms similar to coronavirus.
CEN National Advisor Michael Boler, recommends city leaders convene citywide networks to examine the threat and risk to their local community with key leaders from medical, health, and law enforcement to develop a Community Response Plan to address this in advance of spread domestically.
- REVIEW ReadyCity for Citywide Emergency Operations Plan to facilitate a Christian response in your city to this virus as a precautionary leadership step.
- UPDATE your Christian citywide contact data to easily communicate with your local leaders on a specific response and procure a CEN Radio for crisis communications within your zip code. Join the Network
- Pray for all government officials to make well informed, fact-based, decisions for their people and for timely two-way information sharing. Proverbs 11:14
- Pray for global health care workers to have an adequate supply of resources needed to safely perform duties and for their mental and physical protection, strength and peace. II Corinthians 9:8
- Pray for spiritual and physical healing for all those infected with Coronavirus, even if you do not know them personally, all around the globe to find Christ in this crisis. Genesis 20:17
- Pray for people to evaluate not only their physical health but their spiritual condition as well, as they reflect on this life-threatening pandemic and the brevity of life. Psalm 119:59-60
- Care for yourself, your family, coworkers and neighbors by educating yourself and others with credible information about Coronavirus. Educate yourself and others about other U.S. health risks, like the flu. Proverbs 10:17
- Care for others by engaging in Spirit led conversations to help stop fear and perpetuation of misinformation by sharing facts from credible sources and the Hope of the Gospel. Have conversations about taking personal responsibility for one’s own health and spiritual readiness. Lovingly Invite others to sign up for CEN ALERTS. I Peter 3:15
- Care for those close to you who are sick, especially the body of Christ on whom the mantle of the Gospel rests, by preparing a meal, picking up groceries or praying with them. Keep in mind when one is sick, we all hurt. And, for Christians who value the gift of life, when one is healed we can all be exuberant! Corinthians 12:26
- Share with those who don’t know Jesus Christ as Savior: “We don’t know what unpredictable element of life will touch us personally. Salvation through a personal relationship with Jesus not only secures your eternal life, but it also brings stability to this temporary life. “And He will be the stability of your times, abundance of salvation, wisdom, and knowledge; the fear of the Lord is Zion's treasure.” Isaiah 33:6