Security Bulletin issued by DHS/FBI for Faith-based Organizations
On September 13, 2012 the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Bureau of Investigation issued a bulletin specifically for the private sector and faith-based organizations in an effort to deter, prevent, preempt, or respond to terrorist attacks in the U.S. relating to domestic threats related to the crisis in the Middle East. While there is no specific threat at this time, the security breaches in U.S. embassies including the violent murders of diplomats, the U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens in Libya, and the controversial film negatively depicting Mohammad sparked widespread violence in North Africa this week.
The attacks on the Libyan embassy appear to have been highly orchestrated and organized and the movie was used to aggravate the mobs of protestors outside U.S. embassies. The video while blocked by YouTube in many countries is still being aired in some parts of the Middle East and is continuing to incite violence. Despite U.S. Muslim leaders who have condemned the violence and inciting of Muslims in the Middle East the film has gained attention and DHS believes the risk of violence in the U.S. could increase. Again there is no specific threat at this time.
Due to the escalating situation in the Middle East, CEN strongly advises the Christian community to take specific protective measures such as:
- Train staff to be aware of unusual activities such as loitering or taking photos of facilities
- Develop emergency operation plans
- Establish safe rooms, shelter in place, and communication plans
- Post sentries during worship services that are rotated and rove
- Etablish relationship with local law enforcement and report suspicious activity
- Limit vehicle access to the perimeters of facilities
- Lock windows and doors, use fencing and gate locks
- Review faith-organization’s website for any information that is sensitive
- Identify entry exits clearly to emergency evacuations
To assist you, your family, church and local Christian community CEN provides three helpful training programs to discover your level of biblical readiness and to respond -ReadyChristian, ReadyChurch, and ReadyCity.